We have found the old journals from Head Teachers of the school dating back through it’s history. We will be sharing some of these records on this page as a look back to the past.
“9.1.1960 School reopened at 9am for the commencement of the Spring Term, the number on roll being 294. Mrs M. F. E Peckham commenced duties today as an Occasional Teacher in part charge of the Reception Class as no permanent appointment has been made to fill the vacancy caused by Miss Ford’s retirement.”
“26.9.1958 The School Harvest Thanksgiving Service took place in the Assembly Hall at 9am, the Chairman of the School Managers conducting the Service. Gifts of flowers, fruit, vegetables and groceries brought by the children were taken to Church for the Parish Harvest Festival.”
As we celebrate the Queen becoming the longest reigning monarch in British history, we have chosen the school journal entry for 1952. She was crowned in February 1952. The school opened for the first time on this site in September.
“8.9.1952. School re-opened in the new school building at 9am when all the children, members of the staff, and the Chairman of the Managers met for morning assembly in the Assembly Hall. The number of children on the School Roll = 312. The School Canteen, sited on the premises, served meals on this day.”